Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekly Taxol Number 7 - 3rd Time is a Charm

How many times does it take to get an IV started?  Three.  Yep, 3 . . . and the first two hurt really badly!  I had this nurse, Christy, for my final AC and I had no issues with that IV.  I suspect my veins are protesting the weekly prodding, but they have not been poked for two weeks since I missed chemo last week.  She started on the side of my wrist, just below my thumb.  I have had the best luck with IV's on the back of my hand but she saw all the scars and thought my wrist might be better.  I did notice on my week off from chemo that the back of my hand was swollen so I didnt protest when she went for my wrist.  Things were going OK and I didnt really suspect there would be an issue.  There is always some pain when an IV is started and by this point I know what is a "normal" amount of pain and too much.  She started the IV and then it felt like the needle was stinging and while I think she was only just barely in, it felt like the needle was 4 inches long.  It was stinging so badly that I was wincing/whining and sitting straight up and on the edge of my seat and I'm sure that my face told the story of how much pain I was in.  She decided to try another spot.  I wasnt thrilled at the thought of being poked again, but it did hurt really bad and I couldnt stand it .  She then tried the vein on my forearm.  I told her before I had got bruising and my vein had leaked there (after my third AC and first couple of Taxol's).  She said she was good at getting the vein there so I gave her the go ahead.  Again, it hurt really badly, probably moreso than the wrist, but I think the forearm is a painful area for an IV in the first place.  She decided to have another nurse try cause she didnt want to hurt me again.  I reaffirmed that she had done it successfully before and I didnt really think it was her fault.  A few days later I had a bad bruise on my forearm (again).  All nurses are officially banned from using that vein.

She got me a heating pad and a warm towel to wrap my arm in - I guess warming the vein is a trick for making them pop out and be easier to get.  I also drank a bottle of water cause being well hydrated helps.  In hindsight I maybe should have drank more water that morning.  I did drink a lot, but the bottle I had did go down really easily so maybe I needed it.  Or maybe my veins were protesting cause they had a week off and wanted to have more time to recuperate.

I dont know if I mentioned it here, but all of my IV's have been on my left arm.  My tumor is on my right side and the Sentinel Node Biopsy (SNB) I had was on the right side.  If you have lymph nodes removed you are at risk for lymphadema, a condition where they lymphatic fluid does not drain properly.  Once you have it, it is a lifelong condition and you need to wear compression garments, etc. My surgeon told me that I am not really at risk cause I only had 3 nodes removed, but better safe than sorrry.  I have noticed that my left arm (non-SNB) has been swollen off and on though this and if that happened on my SNB side I would be worried that it is lymphadema.  Well, I dont want to risk it so I started out having all blood draws, blood pressure and chemo infusions on my non-SNB side.  About halfway though the weekly Taxol's I talked with my surgeon who said I am not at risk for lymphadema.  I did my own research and there is a risk, although much smaller than if I had had all lymph nodes removed (which was standard practice for years and many women still have all nodes removed today).  I decided that I would allow blood draws on my non-SNB side to give my poor left arm a break.  It is still very battered and abused but I think it will hold out for the 2 more chemo's I have left.

Anyway, the other nurse did get the IV started in the back of my hand.  I dont know what she did but somehow she managed to get blood all over my hand.  But at least the IV was in with the "normal" amount of pain.

The rest of the infusion went without issue although I did notice that my mood had changed.  You know how after you cry, you have that kindof exhausted, emotionally spent feeling.  Yeah, I had that.  I went home and parked it on the couch after that, even though I really wanted to go to Costco - something I have been able to do after previous chemo infusions.  I didnt feel bad, just unmotivated to do anything.

Two more chemos to go.  Anticipated PFC (Post Final Chemo, although there is another more colorful version) date is 11/7/12.

I will have my lumpectomy about 3 weeks to a month after that.  I have met with the surgeon and Plastic Surgeon.  Usually lumpectomies do not have any reconstruction, but the PS mentioned that I may have a dimple or divot.  She said that she can do what is called an oncoplastic reduction, basically a breast reduction after removing the cancer.  I am still mulling over if that is what I want.  It is a longer surgery, I would have both of them reduced to match, and if I were ever to get pregnant there is a chance that my "good" breast will not function either.  I cant decide if I would really care if there was a divot/dimple there.  I will have a giant scar and it will look the same with a bra on so I dont know if it is that important or not.  Oh and if I do have the reduction I need to have it done before radiation cause after radiation the skin does not heal as well and my doc wont do it.  So much to think about.  I dont have a surgery date yet, but I need to find out soon.

1 comment: